Monday, June 25, 2012

Management Monday: The Origins of Eberopolis

When I did my student teaching several years ago, I worked for a full year in a second grade classroom that used a classroom economy. My mentor teacher's last name was Valentine, and when we merged our two names together, we created "Ebertine Village." This is how we referred to our class throughout the rest of the year.

When I broke off into my own classroom, I didn't have another person to teach with. It was just me all by my lonesome, so I needed to create a new name for my learning community. Eber is a short last name, so I didn't want to add "Village" or something like that onto the end as a second word. Instead, I had much grander ambitions of world domination. Hence, Eberopolis was born.

Since that year, I've taken the Eberopolis theme and ran with it in my classroom. As I described with my class jobs post last week, I try to match my job descriptions with real world jobs. All of my students earn salaries for completing those jobs, and they pay rent and taxes in my class. They also earn bonuses or pay fines according to the choices they make. Here's a poster that describes the "Financial Rights and Responsibilities in Eberopolis."

At the end of the week, we figure out how much money they have, and they can choose to either save or spend their money in our class store.

My system has evolved a lot in the last 5 years, and I've finally taken the time to put it all together in a format that can be shared with others. It took me over a week of tinkering and writing, but my Classroom Economy Megapack is now available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store. It contains several pages of detailed text about our classroom routines, set up procedures, and tips and tricks I've learned throughout the way. There are several classroom printables, posters, rewards certificates, and student and teacher-forms in the packet as well. It was quite the labor of love, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. It's over 60 pages in all.
Given how much work went into making and testing it, I'm going to be selling it for $10. But from now through Friday at noon (EST), I'll be selling it for 20% off. That's right -- over 60 pages of class economy goodness for $8.00. There's a 10 page preview over at TpT. So if you're thinking about setting up a classroom economy this year, please consider checking it out.

Tomorrow, I'll be back with another Google Sites tutorial.
See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...