Sunday, October 28, 2012

The Week Ahead

Next week is the beginning of term 3, which means we are 1/3 of the way through the year already. How did that happen?!?

This week, we'll be starting the following units:

Math - Fractions(!) - We'll be diving into the Fractions standards, starting with equivalent fractions and comparing fractions. Most of this week will be foundational work of understanding what fractions are, building fraction strips, and finding ways to make comparisons.

Reading - Informational texts - we're going to start working on identifying the main idea in paragraphs and texts.

Writing - Opinion Writing - one of my fabulous colleagues prepared our unit on this, so I'm looking forward to diving in and giving it a test drive.

Science - Light Energy. I haven't even thought about experiments beyond day #1 yet, so I'll be thinking about this today and searching for my flashlights...

Social Studies - the American Revolution. Finally, we get to an era in history that I can get excited about! We're trying a new online resource this month - Social Studies Alive! America's Past - and I'm excited to see how it goes.

I also need to figure out which grammar/word study tasks I'm going to work on this week. As I look at the list of topics I'm supposed to cover in the next 6 weeks and the number of interruptions we inevitably have in November and December, I'm a little daunted by the task of fitting all of this stuff in.

What are you working on in your classroom this week? Have any particular resources you want to share? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...